5 August 2016 | Mri Grout
This secret canyon hike in Rio Chicamo is one of the best free things to do near Alicante and Murcia. This hike offers a large amount of shade so it can be undertaken even in the scorching months of July and August. The path is relatively flat and its main attraction, a wild swimming hole, is less than a kilometre from the road, which makes this canyon hike in Rio Chicamo a great day out for the whole family.
GPS Coordinates: 38.260098, -1.002393 Once in Rio Chicamo, park the car for free on the side of the road. There isn't a lot of space to do so, but as this canyon hike is fairly secret there aren't a lot of cars here even in the peak of summer (we've been in mid-July).
- Follow one of the paths along the river (don't worry which side you pick as there are numerous crossings along the way if needed) for about 1.5 kilometres until you reach the wild swimming hole. During this time you will be weaving your way through a bamboo forest and past a few small caves.
- After the wild swimming hole, carry on to the end of the canyon for some amazng views that shouldn't be missed. You can go another 800 metres to a tarmac road if you wish before turning around, but there's little shade once you leave the canyon.
Tips for Hiking in Rio Chicamo
- Bring shoes you're prepared to get wet. Even in July, there are crossings that require you to wade through the cold waters of the river.
- Bring LOTS of water to drink. Even though there is a lot of shade available here, the Spanish heat is still a killer.
- You can park at the other end of the hike (GPS coordinates: 38.245812, -1.005893), which is closer to the wild swimming hole and best bits of the canyon. I would still recommend doing the full return hike though to see the peaceful bamboo forest.
Hiking Rio Chicamo Blog
Other Hikes Near Alicante:
Other Hikes Near Murcia:
hikes near murcia,short hikes near alicante, family hikes near alicante For more hikes near Alicante. For more canyon hikes in Spain. For more free things to do near Murcia. For more wild swimming holes in Spain. For more free natural attractions near Alicante.